CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Picture Cubes

Okay, so my creativity finally made a turn for the better. I was inspired when I saw some picture cubes online and thought I would make them for both my Mothers for Mother's Day. I did it of all the Grandchildren they had on Mother's Day 2010.

I'm basically what you'd call a copycat crafter. I have absolutely no original ideas to create anything, but rather, I garner all such creativity from blogs and crafting websites and steal their ideas. Lovely, huh?

Anyway, I'm not even sure where I saw these blocks but it was something like these ones from FaveCrafts. So I attempted to try my hand at what looked to be a super easy craft. It never is super easy for me, but I always believe it will be.

So, here's my step-by-step tutorial. Grab some coffee. Seriously. The tutorial is quite long, but the project will take awhile as well. Also, chocolate and snacks are quite advantageous, not to mention having 3 movies on hand.

Grab a 4x4 wood post and cut it into 4 inch blocks. Orrrrr, have your husband do it for you, like I did. Or easier yet, just go BUY SOME (highly encouraged!). Then utilize your Dad's tool shop and sand them down til they're as smooth as butter. Grab some spray paint and work your magic. When you're done, you'll end up with painted blocks. At this point, I had already invested about 1700 hours of time and was about to wrap these up as gifts as is. BUT, I prevailed in the end.


Next, grab some photos or print some out (my very limited working knowledge with mod podge does not entail a professionally printed picture so I printed mine out at home), I chose b/w because I just love me some b/w photos.
Cut them down so they will fit on the blocks and sand the edges with sandpaper. I liked the idea of rounded edges, especially because I sanded the blocks to have rounded corners.


Then go search through your supplies to find some tacky glue, and slap those pictures on, making sure the edges are all glued down well and not bubbling up.

Then haul out your Mod Podge and brush over every square inch. I always go vertically across everything, and then once the first layer dries, go over it again horizontally so it creates texture. It will dry clear, so don't worry about going too heavy with it.
When that all dries, take it outside to spray the finishing spray (makes the end product not sticky) and you have yourself some pretty little blocks.
Sassify them up a bit, throw in the card that you found online and ordered a week before Mother's Day (which, by the way, is UNHEARD of in this household to think that far ahead about a card), and give it away.
Ahhh, a success. Loved by both Mom's and a treat to supply their bookcases with new bookends.

It just seems like too much work to repeat for our own house.

5 comments:

MamaMimi said...

I love it!!! I think I wanna do that for BG's room with Africa pictures. And for the record, there's no such thing as a creative idea any more. Everything is inspired from something else or a copy cat. So no fret! Way to go you creative mama! =P

Through the Sea Glass said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Through the Sea Glass said...

What an adorable idea! I'm totally a copycat crafter!

Mod Podge Amy said...

These are so cute! And copycat crafting is what it's all about - all my ideas are for others to try!

Seamingly Smitten said...

These are adorable!! What a great gift! They'd be precious in a baby's room stacked on a shelf! Thanks for linking up!
Jenny

Related Posts with Thumbnails